Monday, March 2, 2020

Voting



Tomorrow, my state of North Carolina is part of Super Tuesday. I'm having existential angst over my vote this time that I've never felt before -- it's like I'm worried that I'll make the wrong choice. My preference is to vote for Warren just because she's the most qualified. Her tag-line of I-Have-A-Plan-For-That just reiterates that there is no plan for anything in the current administration. I'm not sure I felt scared during the 9/11 time with President Bush, even though he wasn't who I had supported in the 2000 election.

However, the angst is totally there now --and we haven't been attacked by terrorists.

On the other hand, Joe Biden is the "safe" choice --even though I'm listening to Bloomberg's deputy on the news talk about how much better he would be. Sorry, but I'm not buying that one. Dude isn't a Democrat. Biden has been a favorite of mine for many years as I've taken more interest in the political world. The problem? He's a white dude.

Now, there's nothing wrong with that (cue Jerry Seinfeld's funny line here)...but the Democrats started off with the most diverse group of politicians in history. And all that's left is white people. Isn't that wrong on some level? What do I tell my students who aren't white about how they might impact their communities?

My conundrum remains...do I choose Mom or Dad??? haha....horrible way to look at life right now, but that's how it feels.

How are others dealing with the ideas of voting or talking to your students (and family) about this major decision?

1 comment:

  1. Never apologize for your slice being boring... especially if it’s about politics.
    You have an important vote to make. It is a tough choice. I think many people are starting to think about what’ll happen if there’s a brokered convention. Not sure if that’ll help you tomorrow, but I don’t want to insert my choice into the comments section of this post.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for the comment.
:-)